Monday, July 16, 2007

Back to my roots. Favela style!

So there's this "restaurant" in Berkeley that's basically a barraco (shack!) and forever it has quietly taken my looks of despair and disgust as it claims to be a Brazilian food place.

Well my friends, today, with the help of Kandra, I have come down from my personal pedestal and am about to give them a full bow for they deserve it.

Please read on as I sit here in shame with a side dish of quiet "orgulho Brasileiro".

Da-lhe Pedrinho!!!

(Thank you Yelp!)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I walk past this place every weekday at around 11AM, and I see them unloading their wares from a Hummer. Yes, a yellow HUMMER H2. That, my friends, is a sign that they have made it big. They've also opened up a new location on Shattuck, but who would want to go there? The shack's where it's at...everyone knows that!

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of Joe O.
Joe O.

Reviews
Written: 41

07/12/2007
4 star rating

Don't let the shanty shack like exterior turn you away....this place is the BOMB! Their sandwhiches are always bursting with flavor and very filling. Actually...I eat 2 of them to fill me up they are that good. And make sure you try their fresh fruit squeezed drinks which give the perfect balance to all the grilled meat you'll be ingesting.

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of Cris L.
Cris L.

Reviews
Written: 131

04/07/2007
5 star rating

The first time I saw this shack I thought "Wow, who in their right mind would eat THERE?". I actually thought the same thing on the second, third and fourth time I saw this shack. Because it really is a shack, standing on the corner of a parking lot, covered in colorful paint. I didn't think of buying food there until someone mentioned how incredibly good the tri-tip is. I wasn't (yet) used to this Berkeley thing...

On a sunny day it can be difficult to get a seat, but the people here are very friendly and accommodating, and have, on occasion, brought out an extra table and chairs for me and my lunch companion. You'll be sitting under some tent-like thing, heavily decorated with knickknacks, moving to the happy sounds of Brazilian music, and driving home some of the best tri-tip you'll ever have, covered in a fabulous garlic and coriander sauce (I call it coriander because I hate cilantro!).

I love it when the Brazilian owner is doing his thing, working the crowds on the sidewalk, sharing both his contagious enthusiasm and his free samples of tri-tip and mango juice.

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of lisa g.
lisa g.

Reviews
Written: 218

09/30/2005
5 star rating

There is nothing else that compares to Brazil Cafe!

The veggie sandwiches are made on this heavenly bread that is somehow hearty but light and airy at the same time (I can't explain, just go try it yourself). Filled with top quality fresh veggies, ricotta cheese, sunflower seeds and sometimes olives. Delicious delicious delicous and it is even healthy!

Very good mango smoothies too.

People say the beef tri tip is excellent.

But even better than the great food is the lively atmosphere.

*******
Be sure to take the opportunity to eat here asap because the University wants to develop the parking lot that the "building" rests on and it is not clear yet whether there will be a Brazil Cafe 2.0

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of TL C.
TL C.

Reviews
Written: 237

12/25/2005
5 star rating

I love this cafe. I love Pedro. I would kidnap him, lock him up in my basement and make him cook for me if I could. I guess I shouldn't have said that.
Seriously for only about 7 bucks you get a whole delicious sandwich and a smoothie --- how cool it that?! I'm in love with their "crunchy" bread so I usually get one of the veggie options or the tuna but I've had the tri-tip and the crunchy chicken and it's all good

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of Jackie G.
Jackie G.

Reviews
Written: 12

07/03/2007
5 star rating

I've died and gone to Tri-Tip heaven.

Geez...how do they do it? I swear there is crack in the #8. Now that I discovered this colorful shack I'm never leaving. There mango smoothie is deelish but too small. Why do they insist on teasing me?

I love the music, the food, and the location. I've introduced so many friends to this joint. Now I look forward going to class and enjoying a nice lunch afterwards. I just day dream about the tri-tip sandwich during lecture....zzzzzzzzzzz........

Berkeley is great for eclectic, delicious, and ethnic food.

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of Shannon F.
Shannon F.

Reviews
Written: 39

07/03/2007
5 star rating

You know how the rule of thumb is that if the place looks like a "hole in the wall" the food is probably good? Well, HOLY SH*T! that rings true with this place. It looks like some makeshift-homeless shelter meets outdoor bistro in Treehuggerville. But the food will have you coming back for seconds. LITERALLY. I ordered a Tri-tip sandwich and a Tri-tip plate for my wife & I for lunch. I ended up going back and ordering 2 more tri-tip plates for dinner.
Besides the meat, everything else was also very flavorful. The rice, the creamy cilantro sauce they give you and of course that Mango smoothie, served in a red cup you usually associate with Keg parties. I have a feeling we'll be back here before Summer ends...

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of stephanie u.
stephanie u.

Reviews
Written: 2

07/02/2007
2 star rating

Tried #8, the tri-tip sandwich that everybody raves about...
and I was sorely disappointed. The meat was somewhat chewy and dry, and overly salty. In fact, I was extremely thirsty after I forced myself to finish the damn thing.

Also, was very put off by the owner's yellow Hummer. My conscience doesn't feel so hot giving money away to somebody who's going to blow it on 2 miles worth of gas.

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of Chill Joe G.
Chill Joe G.

Reviews
Written: 69

05/31/2007
5 star rating

If I could eat tri tip every day this would be the place. Friggin dope tasty, sandwiches, the kind of sandwiches that make you slober and want a couple more. I swear I ate one then felt like I could eat another. Try #84! Trip Tip sandwich, some kind of garlic cilantro sauce that should be on every meat you eat! Onions, greek olives, cheese, this thing had it all. And I hate onions but I ate these all up! My gf had the trip tip hot plate with rice and some kind of macaroni thingy. So good...mmmm and there was some great brazilian music blasting as you eat outside this tent thingy where the delicious meat is cooked! I wanted a mix cd with my tri tip, next time. I need to go back here, asap!

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of Rylan C.
Rylan C.

Reviews
Written: 1

07/02/2007
5 star rating

Tri-tip sandwich.......very good.

Yellow Hummer that the owner drives......not so good.

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of Glu B.
Glu B.

Reviews
Written: 61

11/08/2006
5 star rating

We were attracted to this place by the colors; green, blue and yellow, seen a block away. As we passed by the owner gave us a sample of the tri-tip with cilantro sauce dripping down. Other than sandwiches, rice and pita bread come with dishes.

Even the soda is good, I don't drink soda, but here, it was an exception.

It can get a bit crowded, with the limited seats, but we always manage to enjoy the food sitting down while samba songs play in the background.

P.s. The young guy working the cashier is a flirt. Watch out for those eyes.

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of Elisabeth H.
Elisabeth H.

Reviews
Written: 9

06/28/2007
5 star rating

Yelp is expanding my horizons.

I had a craving this morning for a tuna sandwich - but I am a big baby when it comes to eating mayo. To say I hate the stuff doesn't capture it...

I summoned the power of Yelp Talk, asking for a recommendation for a Berkeley locale that serves tuna with no mayo. TL C. suggested I get over my mayo-hatin' self and check out the crunchy tuna sandwich at Pedro's funky little shack. I was scared...but Pedro held my hand and assured me I would be okay...

I went for #86, crunchy spicy (the amazing tuna mix with olives, jalapenos, grilled onions and their super yummy cilantro sauce on a crunchy bread roll)...I loved it!

So, yeah, the fact that I ate mayo is going to make it hard for me to look at myself in the mirror in the morning (and I'll probably look fatter when I do), so I think I'll only venture to #86 when my tuna-cravings are strong. I can always have the tri-tip which Pedro was giving out samples of and it's got me planning my visit to the opening of his new cafe next week.

And if you don't fear the white stuff the way I do, I say - go on, order #86 with reckless abandon and head held high...(Thanks TL C.!)

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of Angela N.
Angela N.

Reviews
Written: 213

11/07/2005
5 star rating

When I come here I see the American dream: the owner's a jovial Brazilian who's passionate about what he's doing, always ready with a sample of his famous tri-tip or smoothies. Recently he tied a Brazilian wish bracelet around my wrist.

The place isn't much more than tarp, a surfboard and a stand, but it feels like home and has seen a lot of years (and a lot of East Bay restaurant awards!) in its time.

I absolutely love this place. The management are hospitable, the vibe is fantastic, the bread is fresh and light and they've got bangin' tri-tip. Try their mango and ginseng smoothie - just a little bit of it hits the spot.

It's cash-only but you can order and hit up the ATM down the street. They'll prepare your food in the meantime.

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of Xochitl P.
Xochitl P.

Reviews
Written: 114

08/19/2006
5 star rating

I am so glad I discovered this place. When I had a bite of Pedro's favorite, the tri-tip sandwich with all the works, I had three words to describe the experience: tri-tip food orgasm ;)
Yummy, mango smoothies, relaxed outdoor seating underneath an improvised tarp system, brazilian flags all-around, pictures of girls in thongs, and synthetic grass mats. all of this can be found parked outside of what looks like a vacant parking lot. Wish there were more places as fun as this

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of greg e.
greg e.

Reviews
Written: 124

07/19/2006
5 star rating

I'm wondering how long this business has been here. How'd I miss it? How can you miss this brightly colored shack with Brazilian flags claiming a piece of a paint store parking lot? Just look to your left , just before you hit the campus on University Ave and there it is. You'll see a line of folks and know it must be good. Originally I was just looking for a cup of coffee for the wife, saw "cafe" and ended up with a tri-tip with the works in my mouth. The works works, but meat lovers just get the meat and you will be treated to one of the best (if you like loads of flava). The apparent boss who goes by Pedro gives generous samples. One sandwich feeds 2 average Asian sized folks who aren't too hungry. Another star for the cool, down to earth atmosphere and service: As we left, I saw a car pull up, and Pedro give smoothie samples to the couple inside.

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of Sweetness G.
Sweetness G.

Reviews
Written: 1

06/26/2007
5 star rating

Oh my child,
I thought that this Brazil cafe only served coffee/ drinks and light snacks. I had no idea that they had sandwiches that were the bomb! I stepped up to the counter, and asked the brazillian guy in portuguese for a chicken sandwich, because that's the only kind of meat that I like. He had me try some tri-tip with cilantro, and I was so shocked on how good it was. And I don't normally even like tri-tip. So I ordered the sandwich and the cashier brought it over to me. I just shook my head as I bit into the sandwich because it was so good. Onlookers that observed me eating my food so passionately decided to stop and get themselves a sandwich. As a results of Pedro's (the owners) success, he is upgrading to an actual restuarant over on Shattuck , right beside this mexican restuarant in about 3 weeks. I will definitely be paying Pedro a visit.

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of jaime p.
jaime p.

Reviews
Written: 4

06/26/2007
5 star rating

yummiest veggie sandwiches i've found in berkeley! love the mango smoothie as well. on a hot day this is the place i run for, and hopefully find a place to eat in the shade.

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of peggy w.
peggy w.

Reviews
Written: 344

10/13/2006
4 star rating

Dude this place is AWESOME. their tri tip plate was sooooooooo good... this is exactly the kind of place that makes Berkeley so freakin awesome. you wont find this place anywhere else in the world. their fresh smoothies/juices are great to go with the meal too.

tri tip: juicy, tender, goes well with the rice. add some hot sauce and just munch away. salad is also a great side to the meal. hard to snag a seat so dock one star. prices reasonable...~$7.

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of Corey C.
Corey C.

Reviews
Written: 83

09/02/2006
5 star rating

This has to be one of my favorite sandwich places in the bay area. Everything about this place is so much fun, from the funky cart setup in the parking lot, to the cheerful and enthusiastic people who work there.

And what amazing sandwiches! I tend to go for the chicken salad, which has a mixture of all kinds of surprises, and is unbelievably tasty. Pair it with an absolutely PERFECT mango smoothy (the magic is that they always somehow blend it to that delicate balance of icy and liquid consistency), and you're set for a tasty lunch.

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of jill k.
jill k.

Reviews
Written: 888

12/02/2005
5 star rating

this is one of my favorite places to eat in berkeley!

the people: awesome, the vibe: quirky, the taste: delicious!

when on the go, i'd recommend one of their student special sandwiches. there's probably about 10 types, they're about seven bucks, come with a small mango smoothie, and is definitely enough to fill you for quite some time.

when you have time to sit and enjoy this place, get a tri-tip plate. it is oh so tasty!

note: they only accept cash!

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of The Sock S.
The Sock S.

Reviews
Written: 274

04/05/2007
3 star rating

If you didn't hear about it, you probably wouldn't try eating here by looking at it. But this shack is damn tasty. First off, you get a manjo smoothie. It's small, and many times my cheap ass has been tempted to buy a larger one, but it's good. My favorite is the one of the specials. Not sure which one, but it has tri tip, rice and some creamy sauce. Mmmm....creamy sauce... Oh, back to the review. I've had a few other things and all were good, but the tri tip is the best. For those of you who's only brazilian experience is an all-you-can-eat churrasco (and these are darn tasty by the way), this is a good way to get some other brazilian tastes.

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of Ryo M.
Ryo M.

Reviews
Written: 59

09/15/2006
5 star rating

Fantastic place.

The place makes the best of what they have -- colorfully hand-painted menus, which are actually wood planks or surf boards. Even the sign that frames the National Geographic article the cafe was featured in is bright and eye-catching.

Pedro and the rest of the staff are always friendly. Where else will you see a man sitting around with a tambourine, tapping it to the beat of Brazilian music?

...well, yes, in Brazil. But this is the next best thing.

The food is excellent and reasonably priced. It's about $2-3 pricier than some random fast food combo meal, and their portions aren't anything to brag about, but their quality more than makes up for both the price and quantity.

Now, some cons:
- There are times when there's no customers around but you. It's a little sad when that happens, as though you've arrived at a party just to listen to the music.

I don't know what that analogy means, but I hope you get my point.

- The price and quality are two reasons this place isn't considered fast food. The other reason is because it's not exactly "fast." Even when there's few customers around, it can take around 10 minutes to get your food. Definitely not the slowest place, but it's also not a grab-n-go.

- If I were to eat here as much as I wanted, I'd go broke.

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of Tony M.
Tony M.

Reviews
Written: 22

02/13/2007
5 star rating

Tri-tips sandwiches that made me feel as if I connected with the heavens and found all that was right with the world. Fast service friendly people. Always a good place for a quick and awesome steak sandwich.

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of Dan M.
Dan M.

Reviews
Written: 42

09/22/2006
4 star rating

"Moral" vegetarians take note: any cow would go happily to the slaughter if she knew she'd wind up as such a marvelous tri-tip. Get the tri-tip platter; it costs the same as the sandwich but the portion is substantially greater.

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of vicarious c.
vicarious c.

Reviews
Written: 124

02/26/2006
4 star rating

Whoa! This place is unreal. Fake palm trees, mirrors, pictures of girls and their thonged butts (after all, we're talking Brazil here!), festive music pouring out onto the sidewalk.... Could I possibly be talking about a ramshackle food stand in downtown Berkeley?? I've been schlepping past this little stand for years and finally got around to trying it's brightly advertised sandwiches and accouterments. There are signs taped to every surface about the best tri-tip in the bay... so I had to give it a whirl. Delicious! "Best Tri-tip in the Bay" is a bold statement... but it's most definitely the best around Berkeley. Take it to go, or sit in the makeshift eating area that's carpeted with astro-turf and decorated with photo albums of all the things Brazil has to offer (a la scantily clad rear ends)....

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of Mollie M.
Mollie M.

Reviews
Written: 82

02/03/2007
5 star rating

This place is great. I love hanging out listening to bossanova, or some other groovy brazilian tunes, sipping on a cool mango smoothy during a hot afternoon. Their tri-tip is succulant, and the garlicy cilantro sauce that they put on everything is finger-lickin (and you will have to lick your fingers, or find a napkin, 'cause the sandwiches are messy). Even the hummus is delicious!
and of course, Pedro is always a pleasure. I love coming here.

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of Avi H.
Avi H.

Reviews
Written: 24

05/19/2007
3 star rating

The music they play is DOPE (I'm an avid samba listener)! Though they repeat the CD, which I got to find out because it took about 30 minutes for me to get a sandwich and a salad. The food (tri-tip w/ cheese) was very good though, and the bread on the sandwich is spectacular (as portugese/brazilian bread usually is). The crunchy tuna salad was also good, though I still haven't decided whether I like dill in my tuna, so I didn't have too much. I'd give the food four stars, but if it were a horrible day out I wouldn't want to wait for them to make it.

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of Harvey C.
Harvey C.

Reviews
Written: 17

02/20/2007
5 star rating

This place is simple and the food is great.

4/5 SERVICE: Great service for a shack off the street
1/5 AMBIANCE: It's a shack on the street
4/5 FOOD: Scrumdiliumcious
3/5 VALUE: It's a little on the pricey side, but because of it's unique makes it a winner.

I had the Tri-Tip sandwich ($6) with an Acia smoothie ($4)..delicious! A meat sandwich with an exotic fruit smoothie - what more can a guy ask for. I liked the fact it's a shack on the street, but hey what can I say? I can be simple like that.

Ah this place reminds me so much of Copacabana minus the capriana. It has it all. For those of you who need a sit down restaurant - there are tables and chairs on the side of the shack. Have a seat and listen to Brazilian tunes playing in the back ground...sit underneath the corrugated paneling, which is underneath the stars...hear the sounds of the astroturf slide along your feet....Gentlemen this is the place...bring some candles and, oh yes, she will be yours. Enjoy.

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of Matthew C.
Matthew C.

Reviews
Written: 312

11/30/2006
5 star rating

Most people just see this place on University Avenue. Some people just phase it out of their memories and instantly recall its location when you mention it to them. I am surprised that most of my friends do not know about how good this place is! It may seem a little shoddy being in a little shack, but my, my, my, this place has tons of character and is actually scrumptious! Choose from a variety of sandwiches, but please, get the chilling mango smoothie! You can eat in their side patio area or take it to the Crescent Green right smack in front of the University to people watch. That's what I did. Grabbed two friends and a mat, and bought the food and relaxed on the green wishing I had sun block! Tell your friends about this place, they will think you have awesome local taste! -Matt

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of Michelle N.
Michelle N.

Reviews
Written: 68

08/21/2006
4 star rating

This place just screams Berkeley original: great food in an original atmosphere. If you heard that this is the best place to get a tri-tip sandwich in the Bay Area, you heard right! The tri-tip here is unbelievable -- tender and well seasoned. My mouth waters just thinking about it! The cilantro-garlic sauce is heavenly and i usually HATE cilantro! The bread that they use for the sandwiches is really good, chewy and soft.

A few caveats:
CASH ONLY -- if you're like me and live off of your checkcard, be sure to stop by an ATM before you visit.

On sunny days, the wait can be quite long so don't think about this as grabbing a quick bite. Similarly, there may not be any place to sit down at the patio table.

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of Karva T.
Karva T.

Reviews
Written: 59

09/29/2006
5 star rating

This place is amazing. It's a little difficult to find a seat sometimes, but I would not object to sitting on the curb if it meant I could dive into one of Pedro's tri-tip sandwiches and a mango smoothie. It's not to be missed people!! If I had gone to Berkeley for school, I would probably be 90% tri-tip sandwich, 10%... other... things....

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of Rachel C.
Rachel C.

Reviews
Written: 14

08/03/2006
5 star rating

I'd give this place 6 stars if I could!!! I love, love, LOVE it!!!!! The tri-tip sandwiches are just...so incredibly amazing! I can't even adequately describe them. They use some sort of cilantro sauce on them, and the beef is marinated so it's tender and juicy and perfect. The mango smoothies are delicious too.

If you go there and don't know that to get, they usually have free samples of the tri-tip. Once you've tried it, you won't wan't anything else. The staff is friendly as well, and the atmosphere is everything I wish the rest of Berkeley was. Check it out!

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of Grace K.
Grace K.

Reviews
Written: 31

06/18/2007
5 star rating

The first time I heard abou this place, my boyfriend called me during his lunch break from a set-build at Berkeley Rep JUST to tell me... "I had the most amazing tri-tip sandwich today. It came from a shack in a parking lot and it had shit on it that I usually hate but it was SO GOOD."

Naturally, all of this sounded incredibly puzzling. Parking Lot? Shack? Pineapples and riccotta cheese? Brazilians make tri-tip?

In any case, a month later I surprise him with tickets to see John Legend at the Greek Theatre and begin suggest we should go eat dinner at... NO! He interrupts me. WE'RE GETTING TRI-TIP FROM THAT PARKING LOT! Well... it WAS his birthday and the concert WAS a bit of a present for him and I WAS planning on wearing my non-granny-panties just for the occassion so... what the hell, may as well let him have his cake and eat it too.

Just like the time when he FORCED me to wake up at 8am on vacation to walk 2 miles to get Leonard's malasadas, or when he told me that chili with shredded cheese over rice was delicious, or when he insisted that the best sandwich was tuna with jalapenos and monterey jack (I know, it sounds nuts, but don't knock it til you try it) he was on point again.

DAMN THAT TRI-TIP IS SO GOOD! It's tender and flavorful and I could slather that cilantro-garlic cream sauce on anything and I think it would be delicious. Ice cream, a small animal, toenail clippings... okay maybe not toenail clippings... but if you're into that kinda thing, hey-- this cilantro-garlic cream sauce will add a nice creamy tang to it, that's fasho.

Anyway, a little pricey since you are essentially eating in a cold ass parking lot with a shower curtain protecting you from the weather, but there is some dope art on the walls and the music is so good. I would gladly slip on some non-granny-panties if it meant I could go back and have more tri-tip.

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of Ann L.
Ann L.

Reviews
Written: 520

03/17/2007
3 star rating

I liked the place for a casual place for a quick lunch or dinner. You look at the menu and order at the small window. If eating there, the person gives you a number and someone brings you your order.

I got the #8 Tri-Tip sandwich $5.99-chunks of tri-tip meat, grilled onions, lettuce, tomato, cilantro garlic sauce. I thought it was pretty good. Best with the green habanero sauce on the table.

Also got a mango smoothie..couldn't tell the cost probably almost $2. It was mango juice (came in a gallon jug..that I saw her pour from) and some ice. It was ok. Wish I got the Acai smoothie to try..never had that before.

Patio has about 10 plastic chairs and tiny tables. Very grungy style.

We had a Brazilian singer playing the guitar which was nice.

Time visited: 1

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of Megan S.
Megan S.

Reviews
Written: 96

02/09/2007
4 star rating

Great sandwiches! The Tuna and the Veggie are delicious -- flavorful & on really tasty bread. The prices are great -- $6 for a huge sandwich -- and the wait for takeout isn't bad.

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of Andrew Y.
Andrew Y.

Reviews
Written: 399

07/16/2006
4 star rating

Today I went to this place because I heard the Tri tip is amazing. It is true, the rumours are true. The Tri tip was pretty amazing.

First, this place is a small food producing cafe. It is not your typical cafe. It is like a converted food truck with a small dining area. It is all decorated with the colours of Brazil.

There is a wide selections of food and drink. The tri tip comes in many shapes and forms and tastes delicious. There are combos and combos available and discounts for students. They make claims of having a drink that contains the most antioxidants, but you can read into that anyway you want.

The staff is really friendly and will give you samples of the tri tip and even of the drinks/smoothies.

If you're in the area and want a quick meal, give this place a try.

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of Click C.
Click C.

Reviews
Written: 299

10/02/2005
5 star rating

The food is FANTASTIC, the atmosphere is quirky and fun (no indoor seating; order at a walk-up booth, eat outside or take it with you to the nearby lawn @ cal) the owner is ALWAYS there and in a good mood.. At times its a little salty, but that's my only complaint--everything is top notch. Go visit soon and sign the petition to keep Brazil Cafe. This is a Berkeley food landmark that we can't stand to lose--this is the ideal small business, the owner is so dedicated and wonderful. I haven't ever seen anyone there that wasn't smiling--staff and patrons both.

Cash only; pay between 5.50 and $10 (most items are about 6.50ish, but if you want a dinner-style plate instead of a sandwich version of your favorites, then it will cost you a little more (but its twice as much food). I recommend the tri-tip sandwich combo w/ the mini mango smoothie (its really just ground ice into a mango slushee with mango juice).

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of Mark P.
Mark P.

Reviews
Written: 83

08/29/2006
5 star rating

I only made it here once before I moved out of town but it was so fantastic I have to violate my multiple visits rule and share this discovery. My tr-tip sandwich was terrific: juicy, with creative toppings (a creamy cilantro-garlic sauce, sliced jalapenos, and more) that melded perfectly. And the mango smoothie was similarly excellent, like a liquid sorbet/slushie.

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of Bryan T.
Bryan T.

Reviews
Written: 23

04/25/2007
4 star rating

I've walked by the Brazil Cafe many times, and always thought that it was one of those places that's pretentiously unpretentious, a disease that is epidemic around Berkeley. You know, one of those places where highly educated middle class students at Berkeley go to feel in touch with their inner poor people.

But my friend recommended it strongly and took me there and the food is delicious, though not as cheap as one might be led to believe. I had their signature beef tri-tip sandwich (#84) with everything and a mango smoothie. The tri-tip was really good: very juicy and just a hint of that fresh off the grill flavor. The mango smoothie was divine and tasted very fresh.

All in all, despite the vibe, I have to recommend it as a place to get some tasty food.

Bookmark Send to a Friend

Photo of Sarah D.
Sarah D.

Reviews
Written: 13

05/06/2007
4 star rating

If you've been to brazil and you're missing that street corner hang with food and music....rush out and get you some of this! The bread really makes me happy and the smoothies are great and well...i like to close my eyes and listen to the music and remember that summer in salvador bahia. It's only 4 stars cuz parking can sometimes suck and there aren't enough tables but i kinda like that too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home